January 3, 2009

Ugh

In the New Year

I'm not even going to get started on how fucked up recent events in the Gaza strip have gotten, and how we (the U.S.A.) are supplying moral, financial, and military support to the effort. 

Instead I'm just going to link you to this well-written article from the Electronic Intifada and this interview with Ilan Pappé and Noam Chomsky.

Best of Oh Ate

In case you missed it, Harper's does a year in review thing every year. Always a good read. Gotta love those damned snarky mofos.

People keep asking me if I made a Best of 2008 list, and I keep asking them, Best of What? I am rarely timely with things. Usually I don't know what was really going on until like two years later, like everyone else I suppose.

Instead of putting together an actual list of each media group I encounter in my day-to-day life, I just decided to tell you what I thought was the best of each, so that later on I can look back at what embarrassing choices I made. Whatever, I have put like zero thought into this list.

Best Novel of 2008
Awesome by Jack Pendarvis

Best Film of 2008
Baghead by the Duplass Bros.

Best Album of 2008
Alight of Night by Crystal Stilts

Best Comic of 2008
Boy's Club by Matt Furie

Best Candidate of 2008
Barack Obama by David Axelrod

Pyrite Radio

Happy 2009!


1. Paul McCartney // Ram On
2. The Walkmen // In the New Year
3. Fugazi // Ex-Spectator
4. Neil Young // Computer Age
5. Amos and Sara // Arab O Habab of Arabia
6. The Monks // Complications
7. Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers // One Track Mind
8. Scratch Acid // Owner's Lament
9. James Gang // Funk #49
10. Blind Willie Johnson // When the War Was On
11. Sudeten Creche // Dance!
12. Mathieu Boogaerts // All I Wannado
13. The Homosexuals // Slow Guns
14. Blondie // Atomic
15. Total Abuse // Easter Thoughts
16. Husky Rescue // Summertime Cowboy
17. Zom Zoms // Zomming in a Coal Mine
18. The Replacements // Bastards of Young

No comments: